Software Installation Engineer
Description of Role:
As a Software Installation Engineer you are responsible for configuring and installing the Iken software, both remotely from our head office and at client sites across the UK and abroad as well as liaising with client IT teams and end users to provide post-implementation/upgrade 2nd line support including troubleshooting and problem solving. You are responsible for working collaboratively with trainers and project managers to ensure a wholly successful project to time, budget and the clients’ satisfaction.
• Undertaking client project work including technical consultancy, configuration and installation or upgrade of software 3-4 days on site per week in line with team targets including overnight stays
• Project managing and delivering all technical aspects of installations and upgrades and working closely with Project Stakeholders to ensure a successful overall project
• Proactively solving problems experienced during the course of a project and ad-hoc support of end users Resolve or escalate problems where appropriate.
• Following up on issues and incidents discovered on site and liaising with the Support Team where needed to ensure resolution or escalating to 3rd line.
• Documentation of project plans, schedule of works and other technical documentation required for both client and business.
• Up-to-date technical installation/upgrade instructions and associated documented, updated when needed
• Creation or upgrade of client databases in house ready for data migration
• Liaise with other areas of the business to communicate and develop technical requirements, improvements and to ensure up to do date knowledge and know how on the latest products and services.
• Client sites attended and left with fully installed, functioning software with any issues reported and resolved or escalated
• Projects delivered to time, quality and budget
• Improved product through relaying issues and incidents through Support or Development process where appropriate
• Constant improvement of internal process to ensure a consistent quality of delivery
Skills Required for the Role include:
• Knowledge and experience of IT systems management including Windows Server/Networks/MS Exchange
o Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, Group policy management.
o File server roles, DFS, UNC file sharing, windows security practices.
o Application server role functions, IIS, Windows services,
• Knowledge and experience of SQL server, SQL queries and bespoke relational databases.
o Using SQL management studio to inspect, maintain databases.
o Writing and analyzing SQL queries.
o Using SQL maintenance plans to backup and maintain databases
• Knowledge and experience of thin client technologies and software distribution tools.
o Citrix XenApp, XenDesktop, Xenserver.
o Microsoft SCCM, VMWare mirage, Altiris, App-V
• Thorough knowledge of MS Office and windows user profiles
• Excellent communication (both written and oral), time keeping and organizational skills
• Ability to manage multiple projects and set priorities
• Genuine interest in technology and a desire to learn and improve the technological offering of the business
• Able to communicate technical concepts clearly and concisely to both technical and non-technical audiences
• Goal oriented and able to work well under pressure
We are Inquisitive
– Fully understand and own role and its relationship to overall business objectives
– Analyse the status quo and explore new ways to do things
– Ask questions to clarify your understanding of something
– Look at the bigger picture and the impact that actions and decisions have
We are Brave
– Step outside of comfort zone
– Stand up for clients
– Voice your opinion constructively
– Remain determined in the face of challenge
We are Tenacious
– Set goals and work purposefully to achieve them, asking for help and support as required
– Remain resolute in your commitment to overall business objectives and client satisfaction
– Act cohesively with colleagues and clients to achieve outcomes
– Don’t give up when things get tough, explore different ways to do things and think outside the box to achieve objectives
We are Warm Hearted
– Proactively supporting colleagues and clients
– A positive attitude and manner
– A willingness to help out and go the extra mile
– Considerate attitude to clients, colleagues and wider community